Summer is over and people are looking towards the colder months and holiday season. Your PR strategy needs to do the same. Summer is typically a slower time of year for most businesses with the majority of people enjoying the warm weather and taking vacations.
But with the shift in seasons, comes a shift in business focus. People are starting to prepare for a busy holiday season. This is a great time to get your product or service out to the media and potential new customers as well as continuing to provide value for your existing customers. Here are some tips to keep in mind while you refocus your marketing and PR strategy:
- Most print press is 3-4 months ahead so if you want to get in any gift guides, you need to be pitching August/October. Online and TV media aren’t always as far in advance as print so plan accordingly.
- Be prepared with samples to send. Editors may need them within 24 hours!
- Provide all valuable information in a short but sweet pitch. Do the majority of the work for the editor including where it could fit into what they are working on. The less work the editor has to do, the better your chances!
- Like in all business, remember to follow up. Give yourself at least a week. If you still don’t receive a response, you may not have been a fit for what they are working on.
- And, don’t forget to send a thank you if you are featured!
What are you doing to shift your focus for the Fall and upcoming holiday season?